SGS Seed and Crop News: July 2020
In this edition of SGS Seed and Crop Canada News:
- DNA Diagnostic Tools Confirms Field and Greenhouse Crop Diseases
- 20+ Hay and Haylage Packages Specialized for Precision and Turn Around
- Winter Cereal Seed Testing to Build Confidence for Fall Planting
- The Value of Manure Nutrients Expressed through Concentration Analysis
DNA DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS CONFIRMS FIELD AND GREENHOUSE CROP DISEASES
Routinely, plant diseases show classical morphological symptoms when the pathogen load is severe and when the disease is endemic. Identification challenges are presented when other key factors confuse the diagnosis, such as extreme weather, insect prevalence, nutrient in-balance and secondary disease infections. SGS has a broad range of lab services to assist you:
- When single species infection is suspected, we conduct DNA detection methods to confirm presence, at limits of detection. Applicable pathogens are Clubroot and Aphanomyces. Available for soil and root tissue.
- For those complex diagnosis, we assist with either a 30 pathogen or 60+ pathogen scan. Available for soil and plant tissue.
- Blackleg Race testing is a newly launched predictive tool for canola growers. Post-harvest is the ideal timing for sampling, so watch for future newsletter updates. Available for stem tissue.
Contact us for Chain of Custody forms at CA.SeedandCrop@sgs.com
20+ HAY AND HAYLAGE PACKAGES SPECIALIZED FOR PRECISION AND TURN AROUND
SGS has a test package that is just right for your farm or ranching operation, with over twenty different testing packages. From our quickest Rapid Scissors Cut Test (NIR: next day results for CP, ADF, NDF, RFV) to our comprehensive CPM Test (NIR and wet chemistry) for dry cow rations, we have a test package that will fit your needs and budget.
Get pricing for hay and haylage analysis at CA.SeedandCrop@sgs.com
WINTER CEREAL SEED TESTING TO BUILD CONFIDENCE FOR FALL PLANTING
Winter wheat and winter rye harvest has commenced in Ontario, with western Canadian prairies following shortly. Positioning pedigreed seed for customers and creating readiness of newly developed genetics for fall planting is critical due to the timeline to process laboratory diagnostics. As regulated by the Canada Seeds Act, the requirement of pedigreed seed sales is germination and physical purity. The turn-around for a cereal germination is 7-11 days, upon receipt into our laboratory. A physical purity test, which is the quantification of weeds, other crops, and disease bodies can be processed the day of receipt. Do consider additional quality lab services, including Fusarium, cold stress and kernel sizing.
Learn about our seed capabilities at CA.SeedandCrop@sgs.com
THE VALUE OF MANURE NUTRIENTS EXPRESSED THROUGH CONCENTRATION ANALYSIS
There are many factors that can influence nutrient concentrations from one farm to the next. Feed rations, bedding type, storage facilities, and water additions (rainwater, milk house, wash water, yard run-off) all lead to variability. Only by testing your farm’s manure, can you accurately factor the thousands of dollars of nutrient value contained therein, and apply to fields at an appropriate rate where the nutrients are most required.
With manure application after wheat harvest approaching, now is a good time to collect a representative sample.
Agitate the storage completely. In a plastic pail, collect samples from various depths of the storage, as it is being emptied. Mix 10 to 20 of these samples thoroughly and transfer a portion to a plastic jar.
Take sub-samples (shovel or pitchfork full) of manure from various loads leaving the pile or from various parts of the pile. Chop the manure with a shovel or fork to mix the samples together as thoroughly as possible. Divide and keep mixing smaller portions until a representative half litre can be packaged in a jar or Ziploc bag.
Request sample containers at CA.SeedandCrop@sgs.com